NorLand Limited consists of multiple specialized businesses working together as one team towards common goals. We have the unique ability to undertake complex, multi-faceted public and private sector projects within a single project. Our businesses have been making Anything. Possible. for over 65 years!
Copcan Civil, part of NorLand Limited, is an award-winning civil construction company, operating from offices in Nanaimo, Victoria, Kelowna and Rossland. The company has been in business since 1970 and has successfully completed projects throughout Vancouver Island and the BC Interior, including highways, bridge construction, underground utilities, demolitions, marine infrastructure projects, private development, and various municipal works.
As part of our program of planned expansion, we are seeking a Civil Superintendent to join our team in the Kootenay region, with extensive knowledge and experience in pipe laying and road building. As a Superintendent, you will be the leader directing the activities of all site resources, while coordinating the efficient operation of multiple sites.
- Create and execute project plans to meet project schedules and critical dates
- Ensure crews participate in our safety culture and model the high standards that we expect of all employees
- Ensure that while production targets are met, our promise to our clients to safely provide a high-quality product is never compromised
- If a project issue or a scheduling conflict occurs, you will be one of the primary channels and will be responsible for solving these problems
- Use job costing and forecasting to form the basis of decisions on critical project tasks
- Understanding contracts to recognize scope change and associated responsibilities
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop safety plans specific to projects and ensure the project team follows those plans
- Leads, schedules, and directs trades, subcontractors and other construction staff
- Mentor forepersons and work closely with junior staff on site
- Work with project manager to ensure seamless project delivery to the client and identify critical aspects of execution
- Solve problems and propose creative solutions in a fast-paced environment under the constraint of tight timelines
- Participate in estimates of execution hours, equipment and other resources required for construction projects
- Meet with new and existing clients to develop project opportunities
- Participate in pre-tender site and scope evaluations with estimators
- 5+ years of leadership experience in the construction sector managing sites and projects similar to the jobs in our project portfolio
- Background of successfully completing complex underground civil utilities (potable water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, district heating), earthworks, road building and other infrastructure projects
- Experience working with diverse soil conditions in all applications (rock, running sand, glacial till, etc.)
- Proven track record of managing a diverse and challenging portfolio of construction projects
- Knowledge of MS Office/Excel software would be an asset.
- Work outside in varied weather conditions
- Work extended hours and as required by project requirements
- Travel within the region and live away from home area, if required
Expected salary range: $120K - $150K (dependent on internal parity and candidate's skill, qualification, and experience relevant to the role)
We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our recruitment and hiring practices.